Saturday, July 3, 2010

Who Gets the Last Word

As tempting as it may be, trying to get the last word is a waste of time! Pre-teens/teens are a different type of person to deal with. Sometimes I wondered if they were even human. I had one who argued over everything and one child who was just quiet and sullen. A child with an in between temperment would have been desirable, but that is not how it worked.

Trying to get something out of a child who doesn't want to talk is just about impossible. I found that the best way was to catch him after school. Give him something to eat and sit down and have a chat right then and there. Mini chats were the only way to get info out of that kid. He's a 27 year old family man now. He is still a fairly quiet guy. But, I think I get him. No worries there!

Then there is the arguing child. Uggg! This is where the battle of the last word would take place. When I finally realized that I wouldn't win that battle, I just walked away. He would keep on talking, but I wasn't listening. No point in giving in to that type of exchange. It would lead to frustration and anger. I just refused to play his game.

What I found were moments in the car, dinner time, and mini conversations to convey what needed to be conveyed to the akward teen.

One goal was to eat dinner at the dining table, no television on or even in the room, all together.  We had one rule. There were no off limit topics. The kids could bring up anything. Yes, it could be uncomfortable at times, but mostly we had great conversations and cleared up lots of topics.

My kids are great! We had good times and bad times. But mostly we got through those tough teen years in one piece. We have some fond memories as a family. I hope that they learned how to treat their kids during that akward period of life. They'll have a bit more to figure out because they have girls.

Enjoy those kids!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying your blog! :)
    I find the best way to talk to my kids is in the car...or I should say the best way to get them to talk to me. They seem to have an easier time saying what they need to say when they don't have to look right at me. And, OH, how I wish you had specific wisdom for me on how to raise girls! :) Everyone keeps telling me it will be horrible to have 4 teenage girls in the house but I refuse to believe that's just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta watch those quiet ones ;-) Yes the mealtimes together were one of the best things that we did, and we still enjoy it today. Agree, no electronic distractions of any kind. Everything else can wait. The message is- those at the table are the most important, and the focus is there. Everything else can wait. Not the other way around. It makes for STRONG BONDS!

    ReplyDelete